Wednesday 10 January 2018

Katamari!

Now, I'm going to review something completely random because what the hell, no-one
reads this anyway, except Kate and random internet surfer called Steve. Hi Kate and Steve.

What I shall review is musically related and introduced to me by some bearded bloke
that likes to hang around my house. It is called 'Katamari'. Now, I know that sounds
Japanese but it is actually.. even more Japanese than it sounds. It is a
very bizarre and creative video game series that is well worth a play that has a superb soundtrack.
Well at least the 'We Love Katamari' game does, as that is the only one I've heard,
but I'm sure the rest are awesome too.

Now, "what makes this soundtrack so good?," I hear you murmur inquisitively to yourself.
Many reasons. It introduces you to about 5 musical genres you had no idea existed, and
gets you hooked to them before you can even define what they are. It makes you question whether
you are actually insane, in a happy way. You WILL listen to Katamari on the Swing multiple times,
that is just a fact of life, no-one has listened to that just once.. ever. I for one couldn't stop myself
drumming to that one and instantly wished I was better at swing drumming. Also, nearly every single song has a distinct genre from the rest, it is ridiculously varied.
Here is my attempt to describe the genres with my limited knowledge going from start to finish:

Pokemon Rock -> Footage from the Beat-boxing Word Championship --> Lounge--> Swing --> Psychedelic Techno Madness --> Pop Punk --> Chill Rock-->Blues? --> Double Blues --> Chill as Fuck Rock --> Experimental beyond Genres --> Some form of Rock I have no idea, Math Rock?--> Anime Soundtrack --> Disco --> Literally Animals --> Orchestral --> Fanfare
--> Words

Check it out below for an interesting experience and see if you can define what the hell each song is and comment your observations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntd4FPQJX1w&t=4062s

No comments:

Post a Comment