Friday 13 October 2017

Band Watching

Right Kate and random, generic internet-surfer I'm going to call Steven, it's time to talk about bands. More specifically bands that I wouldn't have heard of if I wasn't in a band (probably). A small compilation of the more noticeable bands I've seen through gigging or alternatively, when scouring through music groups to promote our band online. Basically, they keep these activities interesting (as well as the people who come to shows, playing live, beer and John's beard etc.) by exposing me to brand new, exciting music that I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. So here is a few new underrated bands that have stood out for me:

Vertical Noise

These guys from Nottingham were at our first gig playing right after us, causing me to madly rush the load in afterwards (forgetting to pack up my stands) so I could run back inside and catch their show. My first impression of this band came weeks before the gig and it could be described in one word: Noisy. Certainly, the name suits them, but it was a catchy kind of noisy that I could both bob my head or smash a dining set to. Their music gave me options.. and I liked that. If I could recommend one song to listen to it would be “Lieutenant Colonel Mother Teresa”, named after a relative I'm assuming. I believe this is their first single (don't quote me on that either of you) and it's lengthy, dynamically varied intro wins me over from the start – well worth a listen:

Now Steven, as a generic internet user I'm surprised you've made it this far: but if you scurried on past that link without pressing it to rush through this “blog” post without checking out the music I'm carefully selecting for you, then what's the point? You may as well listen as you read since you're so committed to reading this now, even as I talk about literally nothing for a few sentences..

Brain Circus

I met these guys from Sheffield as the opening band in our second gig, and upon hearing their name I thought it would be some sort of psychedelic madness that I would struggle to wrap my head around. Yet, as they played I discovered that they were a catchy pop punk band. At least, I think it was pop punk... it definitely reminded me of pop punk music. Looking at their facebook page, the only live video I can find is a cover of Led Zeppelin's Moby Dick: so they definitely have a good taste in music.. and a great drummer. The drummer's talent really stood out while I watched them, and with solid singing and some great riffs on the guitar, I will want to check out their songs when they finish recording. Check out their facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/BrainCircusUK/.

FES


When the gig organizer tells you that you'll be playing with one of the best bands that he's ever booked, it's tempting to feel down that you're not that band. However, when you've already checked out said band and are excited to hear their music, you realize that it's a forgiveable offence.. this one time. When that band then can't attend the show, it's easy to feel down again.. but then you get to play a show.. and so on so forth. FES are from the far off land of Peterborough and have been around just over a year at this point. I may have missed seeing them live, but I can assure you both that their recordings are well worth checking out. I would definitely classify them as pop rock, if forced to do such a thing.. but if you're adamantly a dubstep/rave man Steven, then even you may enjoy this if you consider opening your god-damn mind. Their music feels very easy to get into no matter which genre you feel you are tied to, and can be super uplifting to listen to. Here's their first single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLyK8x1PG4k and check out their EP on bandcamp : http://flatearthsocietyuk.com/releases .

No comments:

Post a Comment